Here it comes you guys – Winter is on its way. Evenings are getting darker and that means a lot more time at home with our babies.
Let’s stay calm. We can get through this.
Honestly, if it were just less sunlight on it’s own, then we could deal. But it feels like the last straw on top of already:
- being bored out of your mind around 5pm
- Not sleeping and being basically half a human
- Feeling your hormones rage high and low.
- Watching your identity change completely from who you thought you once were
And the worst side effect to having a baby in the winter? Watching that door like a hawk waiting for your partner to come home. When I first realized I was doing that I was mortified. Where was the independent, creative, self-motivated, resourceful woman? What had become of me??
So how do we get through this? Just. Start. Dancing.
It might sound crazy that I think we can solve all of those things above by putting on a song and moving around. But you’re going to have to trust me on this one.
I promise it’s easy. Find a song that you love dancing to. It doesn’t matter how embarrassing it is or how old it is or how uncool it is. It just has to be the song that gets you excited to move. Since you’re reading this now (before that 5pm low), think of what your song might be and put it in a playlist. Maybe even put three songs in that playlist.
When the sun starts to set, scoop your baby up; put that song on; and go to town. Put all the tasks aside and just let your body move to the beat.
Why exactly will dancing cure our woes?
- Music is an endorphin. It actually makes us happy. I know that you’ve experienced this in the past so I don’t need to elaborate.
- Moving to the beat gets us out of our heads and into our body. And that gets us into the present moment. It alleviates spiraling into that go-to internal dialogue: “This sucks.” “I’m tired.” “Who am I?” “Where is he?” “What do I do?” “I’m SO tired…”
- Dancing is a workout. As you know, moving our body – even a little bit strenuously – energizes us in the long run. It reduces stress and releases endorphins and physical tension.
- Dancing with our baby brings us in sync with each other. Babies love to dance and move to a rhythm. In fact, they do it on their own from a very early age. When we move them with us to the rhythm of the music, we are sinking up our breathing and our mood, all while holding them close. It’s the closest simulation of the womb.
- A dance party is like a reset to your evening. Just try it. You’ll see that that mood that you were feeling a minute ago dissipates into nothing. You might even feel a moment of Celebration. You’ve got a lot to celebrate: You got through the day!
So what’s your favorite dance-party song? The only thing we need to do now is share with each other and the longer our list, the better off we’ll be in that dark when we’re watching the door like a Stepford Wife waiting for her partner to save us.
Instead, let’s save ourselves!
Comment below with your jam. Let’s make a “It’s 5pm and winter” playlist that’s 100 songs long.
Have a friend who texts you around 5pm each day? They need this, too. Forward it to them now and have a long-distance dance party.
Tell them to sign up here for more words of wisdom:
Yes! Please send me the Tuesday Tune-In!